Tuesday, April 24, 2007



above is fufu the standard togolese meal...its basically these really big white yams with hair on them that they peel, boil and pound into this mashed potatoe like substance and serve with a sauce and eat with our hands. Apparently there is a restaurant in DC that sell it if anyone is really interested. I actually enjoy it quite a bit, but it totally depends on the sauce. To the right is a quick pic from one of the waterfalls that we all went to durring training. But I just hiked to another one in Badou and it was the most beautiful thing ever. If I can get pics on here I will and you can see for yourself. In fact one day I'll actually post some good pics that are worth while. Perhaps back in the states.


Why the heck not right?


So its 6:28 and I signed up for one of the two computer in the bureau in the capital for a few hours before our meeting this morning, and I'm sitting here on a computer with an english keyboard and internet in an air conditioned room. Sometimes its hard to remember that I'm in Togo. But then again all I have to do is walk outside into the ridiculous heat and the thousands of people screaming yovo and asking for money. Sigh. Togo.
Its weird how different the culture is here. I can honestly say that coming in here I was struggling against defining myself as a feminist but after just 7 months here I can say with all certainty that I am indeed a proud feminist. There are a lot of things here that I see and experience that really make me angry and I had to stop and think about that for a long time, but I finally realized that I think its a good thing to be angry. It makes me really want to do something for girls empowerment, but it is hard when I am not even respected as a person just because I am female. Sigh. I don't want to get negative so we will leave this subject for now.
Sometimes I wonder what I am going to do when I get back to the states, even in Sept for the few weeks that I'm there. Its going to be crazy having everyone understand my language and being able to speak english all the time. And to not have people tell me that I'm fat all the time. Yest I am aware that I gained a few pounds here but people just love to tell you that you are grossiring which basically means getting large. But they use it as a compliment. I use it as my motivation to lose some weight. So when I get back to my house I shall begin my work out plan. But this is the stuff that I eat, this and pasta and rice. Nothing but carbs. Sigh. Oh well. There are much more important things than how I look here. (aka above)
I am definitely learning a lot about myself which is incredible and I am really thankful for.
And Mom and Dad are coming to visit very soon which is super super exciting. They will be here June 10-17 and on June 17 we have stand fast meaning they are putting us on alert because of the up coming elections here. Hopefully it will all be really good stuff coming from it because right now they have a one party government and almost all of the intneration organizations pulled out and refuse to come back in until they have a multi party gov and they think that these elections will do that. That will be terrific so I'm hopeful. And I'll be home before you know it so stay available in the begining of September. Please.
Ok I am planning a 6 day formation for the day after I get back to site so I should probably go figure out what I am doing there but until the next time I love you all and I hope that everything is fantastic.

And I just realize that I haven't really ever writen about the work that I am doing so maybe I'll do that next post!
Miss and Love

1 comment:

Jenny said...

hi tami!
i LOVE reading your updates. your stories about traveling in the bush taxis were AMAZING! i forwarded it to everyone i know. you continue to amaze me! i am so proud of you. i can't wait to see you i September. only 4 months to go! i love you! Jenny :)